Application (Year 2020)

How to Apply

Online application form

Applicants are required to submit TWO separate ESOP online application form.

Before you start

Prepare all the documents

 Download check list, and prepare before you start to input your application.              Download

ESOP Application Form 1 and 2

Submit Application Form

ESOP Application Form -1- < General information for Admission > 
ESOP Application Form -2- < Application for Certificate of Eligibility >
How to save the application form?

Download and Guideline


Applicants can submit the following documents via online application form.

1) Certificate of Health (Hosei Original Form) Download
2) Study Plan (Hosei Original Form) Download
3) An Identity Photograph <4.5cm×3.5cm, 640 x 480 pixel>
  ※ Refer to :
4) Financial Documentation(s) 
  ※ It must show the amount of JPY 960,000 for full-academic year / JPY 480,000 for one semester.
5) Transcript from Home University (in English or Japanese)  
6) A Scanned Copy of Passport (photo page)  
7) Japanese Language Proficiency Test Score (If available)
  ※ For graduate students who wishes to be enrolled in Graduate schools of Humanities, N2 or N1 is required.

If you are not native English Speaker

8) English Language Proficiency Test score (Only for non-native English speakers)  

Only for Visiting International students (Fee paying)

9) 2 Recommendation Letters
   ※ Letters of recommendation from 2 professors at your home university.

*1 Official translation into either Japanese or English is necessary if the certificate is in neither of these languages. 
*2 Note these must include the name of the institution and person in authority as well as the signature of the latter.


When to Send the Application

The application documents should be submitted to Hosei University, in time to arrive by November 30, 2019 for the spring semester or February 29, 2020 for the fall semester. Visiting International students (Fee paying) will be notified individually of the result.

Year 2020 Deadline for Application Notification of results
Spring Semester November 30, 2019 February 2020
Fall Semester February 29, 2020 May 2020

Student visa

For non-Japanese nationals to stay in Japan, it is necessary to comply with procedures which govern their eligibility to do so, in relation to the nature of their activity in Japan and the length of their stay. Students of non-Japanese nationality wishing to study at a Japanese university must qualify as “college students” in compliance with the “Law concerning immigration control and recognition of refugee status.” Persons who so qualify may not take up employment while in Japan unless that falls within the terms of the specific activity for which they are permitted to stay in Japan. The local office of the Ministry of Justice is responsible for determining such matters.
The Hosei University Global Education Center will make the necessary applications on students’ behalf.


After you received Certificate of Eligibility from Hosei University…

We will send “Certificate of Eligibility” after Japanese Immigration approved your application.
Students must apply for a student visa to enter Japan after they receive “Certificate of Eligibility” from Hosei. The nearest convenient Japanese Embassy or Consulate should be consulted regarding necessary procedures. Generally speaking, the following documents are required:

  • Visa application form: available from the Embassy or Consulate
  • Passport: preferably valid until the end of the proposed stay in Japan
  • Certificate of Eligibility: Hosei University will apply for a Certificate of Eligibility on each student’s behalf, and will send it when it is obtained; this will take about one month.

Note that requirements may vary according to the country concerned and students should contact the appropriate Japanese Embassy or Consulate for detailed information.


Exchange Students from Overseas Program, International Office, Global Education Center,
Hosei University 2-17-1 Fujimi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8160 JAPAN
Tel: +81-3-3264-9402